Providing the muscle tension has not been caused by an obvious injury or trauma, it is advisable to keep moving. When muscles get tight they become stiff and painful, causing other muscles in the surrounding area to also become stiff.
• resume normal activity
• apply heat pack / hot water btle to the area
• regular anti-inflammatory if movement is limited, not for more than 3 days. (Normally I wouldn’t encourage taking tablets as you can become dependent on them but given that movement can be an issue when muscles are inflammed, it is best to manage the symptoms early on to avoid further potential problems…)
• avoid activities that cause increase pain in the area eg driving, sitting for long periods, certain exercises at the gym
• check your posture, can it be improved to avoid this happening again??
• regular exercise and/or stretching
• regular massage will loosen muscles helping with pain and aid recovery
• if symptoms persist seek medical advice